The patriotic cache of 1 World Trade Center is evident from its address, as well as its original Freedom Tower title. But while 1 One World Trade Center’s height both makes and references history — at a symbolic 1,776 feet in height and a towering 102 stories, it will be the tallest building in the city — 1 World Trade Center is also an eye-opening exemplar of green design.
With 69 floors of class-A office space, 1 World Trade Center will devote 2.6 million square feet to class-A office space, although a showcase lobby with soaring 80-foot ceilings, television broadcast floors, an observation deck and several restaurants are also part of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill’s design. But while 1 World Trade Center will rival the original World Trade Center in versatility and far surpass it in aesthetics thanks to its fluid, tapering glass-draped look, 1 World Trade Center will also stand out for its stellar sustainable elements. The Freedom Tower’s green aspects encompass both the expected top-of-the-line sustainable technologies — energy-efficient windows, recycled construction materials, interior daylighting and assorted other state of the art building management systems — to such unexpected and uncommon green design elements as the reuse of rainwater.
1 World Trade Center’s symbolic importance is not lost on any New Yorker and its airy, efficient, and ideally located 2.6 million square feet of class-A office space will make an instant impression on the Financial District. But it’s 1 World Trade Center’s stunning combination of ultra-modern design and super-sustainable efficiency that makes it a truly towering achievement.
- Washington St, New York, New York
- World Trade Center
- LEED for New Construction Version 2.2, Gold (Registered)
- Port Authority of New York & New Jersey; The Durst Organization
- Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
- Year Built
- 2013 (under construction)
- Square Footage
- 3 million square feet
- Iconic new commercial office building will be tallest in New York City upon completion in 2013
- 4.8 -Million-Watt/Hour Fuel Cell Installation
- Automatic Interior Office Dimming
- CO2 Monitors Linked to Air Handling Software
- Efficient Building Systems
- FSC-certified wood products
- Locally Sourced Landscaping
- Natural Daylighting
- Recycled Rainwater
- Recycled-content building materials
- Waste Steam Recycling