The Hippodrome Building and Garage, the 21-story, International Style tower located between West 43rd and 44th Streets at 1120 Sixth Avenue, has earned LEED-EB:OM certification from USGBC. Edison Properties, which purchased The Hippodrome in 1978 and is the owner and operator of the ubiquitous Edison parking garages throughout Manhattan, completed comprehensive building upgrades in 2005, including the installation of a state-of-the-art, energy-efficient glass curtain wall, a new two-story lobby finished with Italian marble and limestone, and updated building mechanical systems. Tenants who have signed up for the building’s Class A office space include American Express Publishing, Macy’s International, Huron Group, and 5W Public Relations.
There is actually quite a bit of history behind The Hippodrome, which is named for one of New York City’s most famous theaters of the early 20th century. The Hippodrome Theater, or the New York Hippodrome, stood on the same site from 1905 until 1939 and was considered the world’s most technologically advanced performing arts spaces in its day, as well as its largest, seating over 5300 patrons. The theater was built and backed by the same company (U.S. Realty) which built Luna Park on Coney Island. After the original theater was razed, the site served as a parking lot until 1958, when The Hippodrome Building was initially constructed as a 5-story tower, designed by Kahn & Jacobs; two subsequent additions increased the building’s size to its current height.