Located at 1120 Avenue of the Americas, the state-of-the-art Hippodrome Building retains the name of the famous theatre which originally stood at this prestigious address on Sixth Avenue between West 43rd and 44th Streets. The Hippodrome Building is conveniently located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, just blocks away from Grand Central Station, Bryant Park and the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
Architects Kahn & Jacobs originally designed the 5-story Hippodrome Building to replace the eponymous theatre. But two subsequent additions have left the Hippodrome Building boasting 600,000 square feet of office space over 21 stories and 20,000 square feet of prime ground floor retail space. And the two-story lobby is finished in classic Italian marble, limestone, and silver leaf.
The Hippodrome has since updated its standing. In 2010, the Hippodrome Building earned an EPA Energy Star Award for energy performance in the top 25 percent of similar office buildings. This was possible due to an overhaul of its HVAC systems, the use of compact fluorescents, and installation of lighting occupancy sensors. The strategic energy management has lowered overall energy costs and also allowed the tower to earn LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance Silver certification from USGBC in 2011.
Building amenities include an on-site 24/7 parking garage with valet and 24/7 security. Notable tenants include American Express Publishing, Macy’s International, Huron Group, Inc., the Direct Marketing Association and 5W Public Relations.
- 1120 Avenue of the Americas, New York, New York
- Bryant Park
- LEED–EB: OM 2009, Silver; Energy Star 2011–79
- Edison Properties
- Kahn & Jacobs
- Year Built
- 1905 (originally as theatre), 1952
- Square Footage
- 600,000 square feet of office space; 20,000 square feet of retail space
- Energy Star awarded in 2011 (79), 2010 (77), and 2009 (77); office space includes executive workspace pre–builts
- Energy-Efficient Lighting
- Occupancy Sensors
- Variable Frequency Drives
- Water Side Economizer for Free Cooling