Originally designed by the master Louis Sullivan and built between 1897 and 1899, 65 Bleecker Street is one of SoHo’s most important pieces of architecture. Conveniently located between Broadway and Lafayette Streets at the head of Crosby Street, this 13-story, 107,900 square-foot commercial office building is currently owned by Shulsky Properties.
In 2000, WASA/Studio A, a NYC-based architecture and engineering firm carefully restored the Bayard-Condict Building – as 65 Bleecker Street is also known – to its former glory by repairing or replacing its 7,000 glazed terra-cotta tiles. During the renovation the storefronts were also restored with replicas of the original column capitals that had been replaced with commercial aluminum storefronts over the years. In 2003, GVSHP presented WASA/Studio A with a Village Award for the restoration.
The Bayard-Condict Building was designated a New York City Landmark on November 25, 1975. 65 Bleecker St. was later added to the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a National Historic Landmark on December, 8 1976.
Current tenants include Estee Lauder, Focus Features, Andy Warhol Foundation for Visual Arts, Inc. and Virgin USA. LePain Quotidien and Todd Merrill Antiques occupy ground floor retail spaces. The Bayard-Condict Building is conveniently accessible from the 6, B, D, F, M, N and R trains.
- 65 Bleecker Street, New York, New York
- New York City Landmark
- Shulsky Properties
- Louis Sullivan
- Year Built
- Square Footage
- Only building in New York City designed by Louis Sullivan; also known as Bayard–Condict Building.