The Paramount Plaza was designed by Emery Roth and Sons in the International Style, and constructed on a plot of land that was formerly the Capitol Theatre movie palace, which was built in 1919. The original developers of 1633 Broadway were the Uris brothers, who gave the building its original eponymous name. Construction on 1633 Broadway began in 1968 and finished in 1970.
Building the tower in the Times Square district during this time demonstrated the developers’ high level of confidence in the neighborhood’s long-term prospects that have since been rewarded: during those days, Times Square was home to many unsavory businesses and was in a decline. But that’s not the case anymore. Today, 1633 Broadway is a 670-foot tower boasting 48 floors and 2.6 million square feet of office space. It’s also the fourth tallest building in the Times Square submarket.
In 1974, the Uris Building Corporation and Paramount Plaza were sold to the National Kinney Corporation, which was faced with thirty-percent vacancy rates and had to file for bankruptcy. Due to these events the building was purchased by the Paramount Investment Group, which remains the current owners of the building today. In 2009, 1633 Broadway earned an Energy Star award with a score of 78.
Notable tenants at 1633 Broadway include the German financial services company, Allianz, whose logo now graces the cornice of the tower and is visible from numerous vantage points throughout the city.
- 1633 Broadway, New York, New York
- Times Square
- Energy Star
- Paramount Group
- Emery Roth & Sons
- Year Built
- Square Footage
- 2.6 million square feet
- Earned Energy Star in 2009 with score of 78
- Direct access to No. 1 subway
- In-building Equinox gym
- Renovated Lobby