Dating from 1928, 1384 Broadway is conveniently sandwiched between Penn Station to the south and Times Square to the north at the southeast corner of West 38th Street. The 23-story, 200,000-square-foot neoclassic tower has served Garment District tenants for almost a century. Designed originally by architects Bark & Djorup, 1384 Broadway offers some colorful history in addition to its modern efficiency: it is also known as the Lefcourt Normandie Building.
Named after its developer, Abraham Lefcourt, 1384 Broadway was built on the site of the Hotel Normandie: where Tchaikovsky stayed during his spring, 1891 visit to New York City to inauguarate Carnegie Hall. A.E. Lefcourt, as he was known, was one of New York City’s most prolific developers of Art Deco buildings during the 1920s. The New York Times wrote in 1930 that “[n]o other individual or building organization has constructed in its own behalf as many buildings as are in the Lefcourt Group.” Although his real estate firm collapsed during the Depression, Lefcourt had many other business ventures, including the Lefcourt Normandie National Bank, which eventually became part of JPMorganChase.
1384 Broadway traded hands for $40 million in 2006 from Helmsley-Spear to Joe Chetrit, who subsequent to the purchase invested in upgrades to the building’s infrastructure. In 2012, those upgrades helped to earn 1384 Broadway an Energy Star award from EPA with a score of 77.
- 1384 Broadway, New York, New York
- Garment District
- Energy Star
- The Chetrit Group
- Bark & Djorup
- Year Built
- Square Footage
- 200,000 square feet
- Earned Energy Star award in 2012 with score of 77; formerly known as Lefcourt Normandie Building; notable tenants include major Garment District supplier Beads World.