100-Year-Old Sunset Park Warehouse to Undergo LEED Silver Transformation

Salmar Properties will convert 2 Federal Plaza – which boasts some of the largest floor plates in Brooklyn – into a state-of-the-art, Class A industrial center where occupancy will be restricted to light industrial and manufacturing tenants.

Developer Salmar Properties broke ground last week on a 1.1 million-square-foot gut renovation of the monolithic 2 Federal Plaza building in Brooklyn’s Sunset Park. The 8-story warehouse dates from 1916 and has been vacant since 2000- when it was last occupied by the U.S. Navy. Now, Salmar will convert the building – which boasts some of the largest floor plates in Brooklyn - into a state-of-the-art, Class A industrial center where occupancy will be restricted to light industrial and manufacturing tenants.

Over the summer, the General Services Administration sold the property to the New York City Economic Development Corporation for $9.1 million, which EDC transferred to Salmar for $10 million on the same date. The developer will invest nearly $45 million in connection with the renovation, repairing its facade, roof, windows, and 23 elevator banks, as well as replacing plumbing, HVAC, and electrical systems. It intends to pursue a LEED Silver renovation in connection with the project, which is located between Second and Third Avenues and 30th and 32nd Streets in Sunset Park’s Southwest Brooklyn Industrial Business Zone.

As part of the sale, Salmar agreed to a deed restriction for 30 years limiting the majority of the building – at least 85 percent – to light industrial uses, with the remaining 15 percent available for retail and other uses. Salmar’s purchase was asssisted by the City’s Industrial Development Agency, which approved approximately $37 million in sales and real-estate tax exemptions for the developer, contingent upon the project reaching – and maintaining – 1,300 permanent industrial jobs.

about gbNYC

gbNYC is a multi-disciplinary consulting and real estate services firm. In addition to representing office tenants and commercial buyers in leasing and acquisitions, we also provide innovative consulting solutions from a unique, green building perspective. We advise on green building financial incentives, comment on proposed green building marketing strategies, author white papers, treatises, and market analyses, organize seminars on the LEED process and professional accreditation, and provide advice and analysis on green building risk management and the overall state of green real estate, leasing, and construction, in New York City and beyond.

Our blog, the gbNYC+ journal of real estate, law, + sustainability, delivers consistent, original content - from a New York City perspective - on how technology, data, and sustainability are changing how we interact with our built environment. Subscribe below and receive new articles as they're published or connect with our social media presence to join our ongoing conversation about real estate and sustainability, in the Big Apple and beyond. Contact us at (201) 835-8530 or info@gbNYC.com for more information about our services and to discuss how we can assist you.

, , , , , , , ,

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. NYC's Urban Rooftop Farming Boom to Continue With World's Largest in The Bronx | gbNYC Real Estate Group | Commercial Real Estate & Green Buildings in New York City - Wednesday, June 13, 2012

    [...] where a hydroponic greenhouse will use rainwater to grow crops atop 2 Federal Plaza, which is a former Navy warehouse. When announced in March, the project was touted as the largest rooftop farm in the United States. [...]

  2. Green 2.0: NYC to Open Clean Tech Startup Incubator in Brooklyn Tech Triangle – insiderater.com - Tuesday, July 23, 2013

    [...] 100-Year-Old Sunset Park Warehouse to Undergo LEED Silver Transformation [...]