Reinsurance firm Guy Carpenter has earned the first LEED certification at 1166 Avenue of the Americas. The 1.6 million-square-foot, 44-story Skidmore, Owings & Merrill-designed tower is located between West 45th and 46th Streets in Midtown and dates from 1974. Guy Carpenter moved 250 of its employees into the HOK-designed, 125,000-square-foot, two-floor space in March of 2010. In addition to the typical LEED-CI design and construction features, the company instituted a number of energy-efficient and green building business process changes in connection with its pursuit of LEED Gold, including an initiative to drop paper waste that includes recycling stations throughout the office.
The building’s floor plate stretches for an entire city block. At 430 feet, it’s longer than a football field, and HOK’s design concept was to create an open workspace that flows into a series of small “neighborhoods.” A curving “Main Street” hides the structural columns, while a canopy of translucent screens imprinted with tree branches hangs from the ceiling to connect the space with the natural environment. Guy Carpenter’s executive offices and client spaces are more corporate and include wood accents and enclosed offices.
Formerly known as the International Paper Building, the modernist 1166 Avenue of the Americas is now the global headquarters of the Marsh & McLennan companies, which owns both the upper half of the building (Edward Minskoff owns the bottom half) and Guy Carpenter. The building was renovated back in 2005 and features submetered electricity at 6 watts per square foot; other notable tenants include D.E. Shaw, Westwood One Radio, and hedge fund manager Invesco. The LEED rating is the third for Marsh & McLennan’s real estate portfolio.